Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ways to Improve Development from a basic Foundation



Some organizations begin the process of employee development with great intention. They provide  strategies in the goals and mission of the group but don't follow through to the end to get the full benefit. 

Here is an example of an employee reaching out to the organization's director who has provided a foundation for organizational development but lost the focus to follow through at all levels represented in their organization. 




On a personal level, I am encouraged to promote my own continued development. My own development plan consists of:

1.     Formal Education- I earned my master's degree a year ago and am now pursuing an additional certification in Training and Performance Improvement. Though my additional education has not earned me additional income from the organization, it has evolved my position from a strictly support role to more of an instructional design, implementation and support position. I have been able to increase my experiences.
2.     Tuition Reimbursement- Though budget in the organization is limited, each year on a first come first serve basis, an employee can submit a course for reimbursement up to $500. It is a start to supporting development of employees at all levels.
3. Goal Setting- I am going to work with my supervisor to engage in the Talent Ed evaluation process from the beginning of the year until the end instead of a "quick check off" get it done type of attitude towards it. Self reflection on personal goals and supervisor feedback consistantly refocuses both parties into changes that are needed and those positive goals that were achieved.
4. Training- I plan to seek out conferences to stay current on best formats for trainings for end users. Additionally, preplanning for those trainings for colleagues needs to take a front burner role within the department. Presenting to leadership the need for those who are "trained to train" rather than the SME support person in a specific skill conducting training sessions. I desire to bring an understanding to the department that training development needs to go beyond "I know how to do the task so therefore I can train others on it".
(Noe, 2013)

Resources:
Noe, R. (2013). Employee training and development (6th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment